“So that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete”
- Colossians 1:15-20 In him all things hold together
- Mark 4:30-32 As small as a mustard seed
The hymn to Christ in the epistle to the Colossians invites us to sing the praise of God’s salvation, which encompasses the entire universe. Through the crucified and risen Christ, a path of reconciliation has been opened up; creation too is destined for a future of life and peace.
With the eyes of faith, we see that the kingdom of God is a reality that is very close but still very small, hardly visible – like a mustard seed. However, it is growing. Even in the distress of our world the Spirit of the Risen One is at work. He encourages us to become involved – with all people of good will – in tirelessly seeking justice and peace, and ensuring the earth is once again a home for all creatures.
We participate in the work of the Spirit so that creation in all its fullness may continue to praise God. When nature suffers, when human beings are crushed, the Spirit of the risen Christ – far from allowing us to lose heart – invites us to become part of his work of healing.
The newness of life that Christ brings, however hidden, is a light of hope for many. It is a wellspring of reconciliation for the whole of creation and contains a joy that comes from beyond ourselves: “so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete” (Jn 15:11).
“Do you wish to celebrate the newness of life that Christ gives through the Holy Spirit, and let it live in you, among us, in the church, in the world and in all of creation?”
[Second promise made during profession at the Community of Grandchamp]
- How much does your life declare God’s salvation? What view of God would others have from how you live?
- What could your church(es) and community do together to make justice and peace flourish in your locality?
- How does your church or group of churches care for God’s creation? What changes, large or small, could you make which would make that care more effective?
Go and Do
Global: Find out about and join the prayer chain for climate justice.
Local: Campaign together for climate justice in the lead up to the United Nations climate change talks in Glasgow 2021.
Personal: Take action for climate justice in your own life.